Sunday, November 23, 2008

Typically I don't bother you with my own thoughts and ideas, but today I feel like sharing. Don't worthy Booya Grandma wont become a typical blog and will continue to provide you with a random assortment of articles and images.

I find it dissapointing the number of people who use the church as an excuse to sell their dreams short. I just got out of priesthood and the lesson was on about how following the commandments is the most important thing, and no other worldly success can make up for not being temple worthy. I 100% agree. However the conversation soon became twisted to the point where people were preaching that it is wrong to try and achieve "greatness" in other realms of life. As someone who has pretty lofty goals this bothered me. Ive noticed this trend in two areas of life: professional and romantic.

I dont want to come across saying that if you don't have a career your a bad person. On the contrary, i want to say that the gospel is compatible with most goals, including professional goals. If you look at the Apostles, you have several men who reached the top of their given profession: Elder Eyring is a world renouned scientist, Elder Nelson is a revolutionary heart surgeon, Elder Oaks served on a Supreme court, and Elder's Holland and Bednar both reached the top of the eductional spectrum. You simply cannot rach the top of your profession with out having a dream to do so and working your butt off to get there.

I have also seen this trend in the dating realm. For instance, many people like to cite President Kimballs statement that "any two people could be happy together as long as they follow the commandments of God." In the words of my former roommate Nathan, "That simply isn't good enough." The quote is meant to help us deal with the inadequacies in our mates, and know that no one is perfect. However, I think its a huge mistake to use the quote as an excuse to settle for someone that you don't find wonderful and amazing.

Anyway, my opinion is that the Lord wants us to be happy, and that happiness includes the fufilling of righteous goals. I find nothing unrighteous about seeking to succeed in professional and social life. Putting the church first does not entail selling your dreams short. That is all.

No comments: